A New Frontier

This last weekend I embarked on a brand new frontier of music collecting. I finally broke down and bought a tape deck to add to my stereo setup. I had sworn it off for a couple years but I decided it was time to make the addition to the family. I scouted out Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist to find the best fit for my current wants. I happened to stumble upon an Onkyo TA-RW344 stereo cassette tape deck for $40. The listing said that the sound is clear and that it is in great shape except for one thing, deck one's door is jammed shut and the eject button won't open it. Seeing as I won't be recording any tapes for the time being (maybe in the future) I didn't see this as much of a problem. Tape deck two is still operational and plays just fine. I haggled with the owner to lower the price and I got it all the way down to $25... a steal... I think.



After picking up the tape deck at a local Quik Trip, I brought it home and began the install. It took me a couple minuted to locate more RCA cables and to figure out where I wanted to run cables to the power supply. Once I got it all hooked up I put in my cassette copy of Stevie Wonder "Songs In The Key Of Life" and began jammin'. The sound really is crisp, especially for being tape.

I am really excited to start finding deals on tapes because they are so much cheaper than vinyl. The main reason that I picked up the tape deck is so that I can start collecting Grateful Dead bootleg tapes. I want to try to get all of my favorite shows on bootleg tape recordings because it's the way that I listen to them on Relisten.com anyways. I think that physically owning a copy of these shows just adds another layer to the love for my favorite band. I will now being constantly hunting eBay for tapes day in and day out, probably getting heartbroken over losing auctions. If you know of any places with good prices on cassettes or to get bootleg Dead tapes, feel free to send me a message so that I can check them out!

Comments

Popular Posts