Birthday Record Haul

My 22nd birthday is today and although I can't go out to dig crates like usual, I have still managed a big haul from record shopping online. The main outlets that I have used to shop are Josey Records KC's instagram page, Mills Record Company's website, and Discogs from independent sellers. These sites and pages have helped me get through the quarantine by helping me add on to my collection. Which, in other big news, I finally broke 400 albums in my collection! The next goal is the big 500... and I think I will throw a party for that mark. Anyways, here are the records that I picked up for my birthday!

Knxwledge - 1988 (black vinyl)
   This is a fantastic hip-hop instrumental tape that further extends the argument for why Knxwledge is one of the best in the game right now. His blend of soul, jazz, and hip-hop creates the perfect sound for any occasion.

Thundercat - It Is What It Is (red vinyl)
   Thundercat's latest project left me feeling really good and therefore it made me want to pick it up. He seems to peel back another layer of depth to his persona while still delivering his charm that makes him feel so unique.

Khruangbin - The Universe Smiles Upon You (black vinyl)
   This is another phenomenal instrumental album. The vibe that Khruangbin creates is unmatched as they blend psychedelic, blues, and world music into the perfect concoction of sounds. This is a must listen and I cannot recommend it enough.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest (black/red split vinyl)
   Infest the Rats' Nest was one of my favorite records of 2019 placing in my top 3 in my year end list. The Australian psych group ventured out from their roots (as they usually do) to deliver a hard hitting thrash album competitive with any from the genre in the last twenty years. Their blend of psych and thrash meshes perfectly to deliver a hard hitter from front to back.

Kikagaku Moyo - House in the Tall Grass (black vinyl)
   The Japanese outfit Kikagaku Moyo creates a psychedelic environment unlike anything you'll ever hear. They blend Eastern and Western sounds with perfection to create a sound entirely their own. Kikagaku Moyo's vocals are also delivered in an entirely unique language that leaves you trying to figure it out with every listen.

Charley Crockett - The Valley (black mono press)
   Charley Crockett is one of the most exciting new voices in country-western music. His soulful vocal delivery, honky-tonk perfect production, and attire make for one hell of a feeling. Crockett impresses in nearly every aspect and really shines in his songwriting, especially on his 2019 release The Valley.

I was fortunate enough to also be gifted a $100 gift card to my favorite Kansas City record spot Mills Record Company and with that gift card I plan on  adding a few more new releases to my collection. I plan to pick up:
   1. Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride
   2. Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late
   3. Tame Impala - Currents
These are three records that I look at nearly every time I'm in the shop but I never pick up due to the price being around $30 a piece.

I also still have The Weeknd's - After Hours coming in the mail. The confirmation email told me it would be twenty weeks so hopefully it comes before that. Anyways, let me know what you all are buying and spinning while stuck in the house!

Comments

Popular Posts